Monday, November 15, 2010

The Wedding Cray Cray...Part One.

When most people are born typically the umbilical cord is cut and the baby is considered a newborn person free to make choices in life…not in my family…our cords reach so far that it goes through time and space all the way to my current age of 23.  Although that is about to completely change in less than 9 months I will be getting married to my amazing fiancé, and my cord will be officially (supposedly) cut.  This blog is to celebrate my zany families rules and to fill laughter to the ones whose cords have been cut in their rightful time…BIRTH.  Enjoy…and be thankful that the doctor’s knife didn’t miss. 

Wedding Cray Cray Part One.

Planning a wedding can be a whole lot of work but when it comes to my family it becomes a bit of a mess. 

On choosing a dress

Dress 1
Wedding Me: I like this one but I want to keep looking because it is still so early to pick a dress.
Mom and grandmother: we do too! This is THE ONE!

Tries on a different dress from a different store

Dress2
Wedding me: this one is pretty but I don’t think it is the dress.
Mom and grandmother: we think it’s THE ONE!

Tries on dress 1 again (later in time)
Wedding me: ok I now know this is the dress I want to wear down the isle.
Mom: I am not sure I like dress number 2 better.
Wedding me: dress 1 looks similar to dress 2 what do you not like about it?
Mom: I don’t like dress 1
Wedding me: you said it was the one last time??????
Mom: I like the seamstress from the first store.
Wedding Me: What does that have to do with how the dress looks? I like the look of the first dress better plus it is cheaper than dress 2 but still elegant.
Mom: I know but I like the store that dress 2 comes from.
Wedding Me: I do not think I should pick the look of the store over the look of the dress.

I was able to pick dress 1. When buying the dress…
Mom: I really like this dress it is THE ONE!
Me: um yay? (Confused for all eternity)

On picking wedding colors

Wedding me: Fiancé and I like burgundy.
Mom: I like purple how about purple?
Wedding me: Purple is a pretty color but we think that burgundy will be the color.  Though if you like purple you can wear it. That would be a great color on you.

At the store
Mom: is this burgundy (holds up purple ribbon)
Wedding me: no it is purple
Mom: how about this material (holds up another purple thing)
Wedding me: no it is purple
Shows what burgundy is
Mom: Isn’t this a lovely burgundy color!
Wedding me: mom that is purple.


For some reason she believes that I will change to purple if she subconsciously sends me messages…sigh.

On where I should put on my wedding dress

Mom: I think we should start a tradition of you putting your dress on at the house and then ridding to the church
Wedding me: Mom that would be a 45 minute drive shouldn’t I just put the dress on at the church with the bridesmaids.
Mom: Oh no! No one should see your dress at all.
Wedding me:  What?
Mom: I do not want anyone to see your dress
Wedding me: but that doesn’t make any sense I know the guest can’t see the dress but my bridesmaids too???????? What about the part where they help me get ready that’s suppose to be fun girl time?  You want me to be by myself during that time???
Mom: I just think no one should see the dress.

Finally in the end she saw that it did not make much sense to sit in a car and wrinkle the dress.  It is a miracle that she is fine with me have my bridesmaids with me before the ceremony…but I better get it in writing cause who knows what will happen.

2 comments:

  1. Love, love, love your blog. I got married about 5 months ago. Its a hectic, yet exciting time. Plus my family is pretty wacky too! I'm going to follow your blog for sure =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I purchased a Winegard FlatWave indoor antenna back in November and finally "cut the cord". Saving over $100 a month and with the antenna and some online video streaming there's not much I miss.

    I've been looking into a good way to DVR off the antenna. Trying to decide between a Roku box, Boxee, etc. Any opinions?

    ReplyDelete